Monday, July 4, 2011

Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus!

So, do you have those times when you feel God keeps bringing something to your attention? It has been like that with me the past few days. Several times now God has reminded me to keep my eyes on Him rather than my circumstance. Like with Peter walking on water, when his focus was on Jesus and the word He had spoken "Come", Peter had faith to walk on the water. But when he took his eyes off of Jesus and his attention diverted from the word He had spoken, fear slipped in and Peter began to sink. Peter got distracted by the wind and the waves and started to focus more on the "issue" than His God. All Peter had to do was turn his eyes back to Jesus call out for help and Jesus immediately responded and Peter gained his faith back again. I think this is exactly what we do, atleast me anyways. We find a Word to stand on and keep our eyes focused on Jesus until the fear of our circumstance grips us. We get distracted by the problems and whats going on, and begin to look at the circumstance more than we look at our God, the cicumstance then becomes magnified, and we feel stuck and don't know how to handle it. When Jesus is asking us to fix our eyes on Him, the circumstance may be there yes, but if our focus is on Him, He will lead us and show us how to handle it. He will strengthen us with the faith to move that mountain.  Hebrews 12:1-2 says "Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish." In the amplified version the last part of that verse says "Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus. Who is the Leader and Source of our faith, and also the Finisher." Proverbs 4:25-26 says "Look straight ahead and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path." At Church yesterday Pastor Chris said that we tend to go wherever we are looking. If that is the case which I believe it is, lets look to Jesus- not to the circumstance. When Jesus becomes bigger to us, the circumstance becomes smaller! Praise God! So find a Word to stand on and look to Jesus! The Word is truth and we know that the truth sets us free. John 8:36 says "So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free." The other day I was burdened by an emotional pain that kept coming to surface, I was asking God to lift it off of me, I was tired of thinking about it and tired of the pain that came with those thoughts. God led me to Psalm 30:11-12 "You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing  praises to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give You thanks forever." God has already lifted that burden from me and is clothing me with joy. That's the Word I'm going to stand on and that Word is truth and since that truth has been revealed to me I am truly free of that burden! Jesus said so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment